If you are on this page you have already been diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
You will probably already know that it is a common, long-term condition that affects the digestive system but here are a few other facts that you may not know:
- Twice as many women are affected as men.
- It is usually diagnosed in people aged 20-30 years but can be diagnosed at any point in life.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome affects up to 1-5 people at some point in their life.
- The cause of IBS is unknown but it is thought to be related to gut sensitivity and digestive problems which means
- If food moves too quickly through the digestive tract you are likely to get diarrhoea.
- If food moves too slowly through the digestive tract you are likely to be constipated.
Although there is no cure there is still hope. You can try to manage your symptoms
You may have a chronic life long condition but that does not mean that you have to ‘suffer’ with it. With a few little changes to your lifestyle you can live with it instead.