What are the common symptoms?
- Stomach pain and cramping.
- Excessive wind (flatulence)
- Change in bowel habits (e.g. diarrhoea, constipation and sometimes both).
- Sometimes having an urgent need to go to the toilet.
- A feeling that you haven’t fully emptied your bowels.
- Lack of energy.
- Feeling sick/nauseous.
- Bladder problems.
- Sometimes leading to incontinence.
- Pain during sex.
Having just one of these symptoms can make living a ‘normal’ day to day life difficult let alone living with a combination of symptoms.
Your life can feel out of your control and this can lead to psychological symptoms such as anxiety and depression, which in turn will not help your physical symptoms.
So you can see it is all swings and round-a-bouts until you begin to manage your symptoms.
I’m not saying that your symptoms will miraculously go away but through managing them they may just ease of enough for you to live your life.
This can be management through prescribed medication or it can be through diet, exercise, reducing stress, taking probiotics or a combination, which is more likely.